Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Hummingbird Cake

I felt really fresh this morning....yeah! But minus my glasses! I was taking pictures, had to take it off, I have this short sighted and long sighted flaws already LOL...but am not that old you know! Yeap, I made this cake last night...and it makes feel good....you don't know how crancky I have been as I was not being able to bake leisurely, kah kah kah....it has become addiction, this baking! And soother...try a hand :D

Well! I don't know why this cake is called the Hummingbird Cake....maybe because when you indulge in a slice, would then make you want to hum....it is sooo good....I like banana, pineapple, pecans...and they all come together in this lovely moist, and slathered in cream cheese....the texture is like my Carrot Cake except that it tasted and smelled like pinacolada cake....nice to say the least!

So...here's the recipe that I first saw in Joy of Baking and adapted by http://call-me-cupcake.blogspot.com/2011/05/hummingbird-cake.html ! Awesome blog!
Ingredients
1 cup (110g) pecans, toasted and finely chopped
3 cups (390g) all purpose flour
2 cups granulated white sugar, I used 1 1/2 cups sugar and 2 tbsp golden syrup, I like!
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs lightly beaten
3/4 cups (180 ml) corn oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, I just squirted some from my bottle!
1 can of 227g crushed pineapple, do not drain
2 cups mashed ripe bananas, I used 5 medium pisang emas, yums!
Method
1.Preheat oven at 170C, Prepare 2 8 inshes round cake tins.
2.Toast pecans, and chopped fine, I crushed them with my hands! Will blitz them in a food processor next time!
3.In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and ground cinnamon. 
4.In another bowl mix together eggs, oil, golden syrup, vanilla, pineapple, banana and chopped pecans.
5.Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, do not beat just fold the mixture....you don't want to overwork the protein or you'll end up with a hard cake!
6.Divide the batter between the 2 cake tins, bake for about 40 minutes or golden.
Look at the vintage cake server...it's dated back from my uni days...bought it in London from a Queen's Anne distributor!
Cream Cheese
250g Philly cheese
125g butter
1 cup icing sugar...or lately I added up to my taste, that way you don't end with a very sweet topping!
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
sprinkling of dessicated coconut...yeah am loving this lately! Used to dislike them!

Cream butter, add cream cheese, and sifted icing sugar and vanilla until nice and fluffy and lastly add the whipping cream until all well incoporated.
I sliced the cakes and made 4 slices and iced them with cream cheese, and then sprikle dessicated coconuts!

This was what I had for breakfast!

I brought the cake to officem some, sliced them and packed nicely to give away to a few people! Yes, I feel good! Have a brilliant week peeps! Now I have to look at the pile of documents in my notebook....huwaaaa....

10 comments:

mrs plain-june said...

tengok kek ni.. my tummy is rumbling and tumbling!

Sizuka said...

Ju, mine too!!

k.yani, I pun nak bake this cake la. tapikan, byknya cake yg i plan to bake.. huhuhu..

cik cek said...

emmmm...nyum...nyum...yummyyyy....

Janine said...

Love the vintage cake server! And the hummingbird cake with those coconut looks gooddddd

Tina said...

the cake server!! I have had my eyes on it in your past photos dah hehehe..pastu kan, went to look for a similar one I had from a wedding gift 14 years ago...tak jumpa! frust you....kena beli baru? :P

just as what we have been chatting about, me too... like cranky giler haven't been spending time in the kitchen for pleasure!! i'm glad you're humming to this cake! :)

Edi said...

lovely! i was thinking to bake this cake too :)

Shahieda said...

I LOVE your cake lifter! I have one just like it that I received from a dear friend a few years back :)

Dr. H said...

hemm, how to suit our healthy version, all sugar and syrup, substitute with agave, cook in muffin cups, bila masak, touch a bit on cream and then touch on a plate of dessicated coconut...cuma tak lawa nak tayang ler...tapinya dah boleh imagine kesedapannya..thank u for the recipe.

Dr. H said...

Yany, I dah buat dan makan, nice, tq

KG said...

Tqss you all for the comments!you must try this cake! and yes dr H...more cakes to come for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails