Wednesday 23 October 2013

Banana Chocolate Pavlova .... when the rubber hits the road!



Assalamualaikum and good morning peeps! I am updating my blog because the house is quiet, I have to send Muhammad to the baby sitter but I have a few bakes to finish before 12! But then, I must share with you this....the chocolate pavlova and how I feel now....

It might seem scary , but I realise that now I am going through what I have been reading or what my Dato Shaz goes through every day....the business I mean....yeah I read Peter Drucker, I read Anthony Robbins, I read Todd Duncan....I heard Dato Shaz spoke about branding, positioning, marketing, customer churn all that jazz....but it's when the rubber hits the road, the reality comes to surface, all your energy, creative juices name what....will emerge!

Hey, I couldn't even write properly let alone write using buttercream, but this my friend is one of the things that you overcome when the rubber hits the road....and there should never be a time when you say no to your customers....well, in the next 3 months we are sorry that we would not be able to entertain all requests, as we were booked till December, alhamdulillah...anyway....

What I mean is when you have your own business, no matter how small it is, all the above facts keep playing in your mind...you can't offer the same cakes, the same design, the same packaging day in day out...even MacDonalds have their specials at times! So...this are the things....and networking is so darn important. I don't see a point of of trying to over do the other, but let's stick to our own expertise and network....as network makes the business work...

More of this networking will be happening when I operate from my humble studio, soon....can't wait as there will be classes right for the beginners and perhaps baking parties for kids or moms! I have so much in store but first I need an assistant, hehe....any offers?

Okay, enough of my blabbering..let me share with you this recipe...it is mouthful to pronounce all, you better save your breath  to savour this super delicious dessert, which I feel is akin to banoffee pie and this masterpiece I feel suits the standards of those known chefs...it is super sedap!

Ingredients adapted from Suzareen's recipe....Reen currently resides in Perth Australia

Pavlova

4 egg whites
200g brown sugar, Reen uses white sugar
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cocoa powder, I used Cocoa Barry, ran out of my Valrhona
1/2 tsp instant coffee granules, I added, I used Nescafe TAster's Choice French Roast

Heat oven at 150C. Prepare your baking tin. Beat at medium speed egg whites till frothy, add a tablespoon at a time the brown sugar at every 1 minute interval.....believe me you'll appreciate it if you beat your meringue slowly and lovingly, hehe! When all the sugar is added, add apple cider vinegar, turn the speed to medium high for about 5 or 6 minutes when the meringue is stiff but not dry please. Sprinkle the cocoa powder and coffee powder, and scoop the meringue on to the prepared tin. I wouldn't advice you to fold in the cocoa powder nor the coffee powder and the fat in the powders would deflate your meringue. Turn your oven to 110C bake for 90 minutes,,,when cooked leave the meringues in the oven till cold.

Salted Caramel Sauce adapted from the recipe learnt from Sarah Jasmine

1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups whipping cream 30% fat content
30g butter

Make the caramel ie burnt sugar, turn off heat, remove your pot from heat, add whipping cream...at this point please be extra careful, the mixture will spatter. Once all mixed, heat up the mixture a bit for about 3 minutes, remove from heat and add butter until well incorporated. Leave to set at desired consistency. Salt to taste, I used fleur de sel.

Whipping Cream

I used 400 ml dairy  whipping cream, whisked with 2 tsp vanilla until soft peaks. I omitted sugar.

Bananas

I used 6 bananas

How to assemble....just place the meringue disc on a plate, spread the whipping cream, dust some cocoa powder on the cream, arrange your sliced bananas, and drizzle salted caramel sauce. Place the second meringue disc on top of the first, spread the cream, dust cocoa powder, spread your bananas, drizzle your salted caramel sauce.....ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!

Ok peeps , I gotta go...bakes waiting friends waiting, Khadijah's waiting....





4 comments:

Gina said...

Kak Yani
I nak jadi your assistant...serious tau ni

Gina

Keladi Betawi said...

never heard pav with banana... hmm ..interesting. Must try. Tq KG

Anonymous said...

salam...nk tanya kawasan kl kedai mana nak cari bahan2 untuk buat kek yang diyakini halal???

cheyah said...

Must try this..tq Yani

Related Posts with Thumbnails