Thursday 8 March 2012

Confetti Cake and Pulut Sambal

Hi! How are you? I have been busy, never been this busy before!And, I'm sorry I had not been able to reply to your comments. Someone asked where I got Valrhona cocoa powder in KL. My answer would be to ask Gourmandines...I know there is an importer, but he only sells to hotels....he didn't want to layan me!

Anyway...I still have some emails I have not replied, I will....by this weekend ya!

I made this Confetti Cake last Sunday. It is another white cake recipe, as in a cake that uses egg whites only. And, for Rainbow Cakes people usually use a White Cake recipe...don't know about the rest, but, yup, I do....and I like Dorie's White Cake recipe for my Rainbow Cakes!

...but, for this cake, instead of dividing the batter into several colours, the batter consist of jimmies....you know that colourful hundreds and thousands look alike!...and , here's the recipe which I got from Sweetapolita's blog.....




Ingredients
1 cup whole milk (237 mL), at room temperature
6 large egg whites (180 grams), at room temperature
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract 
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) almond extract, I omitted
2 3/4 cups (315 g) cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups sugar (300 grams)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder (19.5 grams)
3/4 teaspoon salt (5 grams)
12 tablespoons (6 ounces/170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into cubes
~1/2 cup rainbow jimmies
Method
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease, line with parchment, and flour two round 8-inch pans.
2. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine and stir the egg whites, 1/4 cup of milk, vanilla and the almond extract. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar, together on low speed (I use the “stir” setting on my mixer) for 30 seconds.
4. Add the butter and blend on low speed for about 30 seconds, then add remaining 3/4 cup of milk, and mix on low speed until just moistened. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1 1/2 minutes.
5. Scrape the sides of the bowl and begin to add the egg/milk mixture in 3 separate batches; beat on medium speed for 20 seconds after each addition. Gently stir in the rainbow jimmies, until just combined.
6. Divide the batter in two, spreading it evenly with a small offset palette knife. If you have a kitchen scale, weigh the batter in the pans to ensure 2 even layers.
7. Bake 25-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes clean when inserted into the center. Be so careful to not overbake. Check cake at 20 minutes, but not before, and once you feel it’s almost ready, set the timer for 2 minute intervals. Let cool on racks for 10 minutes before loosening the sides with a small metal spatula, and invert onto greased wire racks. Gently turn cakes back up, so the tops are up and cool completely.
8. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2 days, refrigerator for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 2 months. Best eaten the same day as baked.
*Adapted from Classic White Cake recipe on Baking Bites and Rose Levy Beranbaum’s White Velvet Cake. Thank you Sweetapolita for this recipe.

I topped this cake with a classic Vanilla Buttercream which I added with a dash of whip cream, yahoo! 



...to be honest, I'm not really a white cake person, except for Dorie's...but, I love this one! And so does the children and hubs! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Here are the bakes I made last week!




Macarons and Cupcakes for Engagement Hantaran, there was one new Macaron Flavor, Raspberry and Lychee in Cream Cheese and the sugarpaste flowers were made by moi! Thank you Arasy!


Also another Hantaran, ordered by Zira..... 



...who ordered 5 dozens more for makan-makan, tqs Zira!



I made this for Aini, my Corporate Finance colleague for her nephew's engagement. Tqs Aini!


A Red Velvet Cake for Haziq, from momma Leha...Haziq loves Chelsea FC, hence the blue pearl dragees!


A half recipe of Devil's Food Choc Cake Recipe with Berries for daddy, ordered by Farrah. Tqs Farrah!


Some more Macarons for Alisha and Najmi, tqvm! Waiting for your next orders!


...and my first attempt at cooking pulut...glutinous rice or sticky rice. I love, love this! Made this for breakfast on Sunday.....wash and soak sticky rice overnight, drain water. Preaheat your steamer, steam sticky rice for about half an hour (I added pandan or screwpine leaves), then add about a cup of coconut milk (for 300g sticky rice), pinch of salt, steam for another half hour. Both Muhammad and moi had a hearty breakfast last Sunday! I made Sambal Bilis to go with it.....ahh, this reminds me of my grandma who used to make this for us when we were kiddies!


...and here's Hajar in her solat attire....she's been asking for this, which I got from this particular shop in TTDI market!

Okay, I'll catch up with you later, take care and be healthy!xox


8 comments:

Tina said...

dah lama tak tinggal my comments; a brief one:

masha Allah, GORGEOUS!! love all of them. As always!

wiz said...

When you look at hajar's photo in her first telekung, don't you feel like making more babies Yanie? no?

Patyskitchen - Exploring Global Flavor Around The World said...

Hey thanks for sharing the almost amos cookies. I made one batch last week. It's awesome

Ribbon and Circus said...

Sejuk hati tengok Hajar.. ;)

And terus terasa nak makan pulut sambal tgk ur pic.. Laparlah..

CathJ said...

Beautiful2 cakes.. :)

ROYAL JESTER said...

Kak Yani, that's a very nice new topping pattern for your RV cake.Nak tirulah..very creative la..so niceeeeeee..and hajar looks soo adorable...

Rima said...

Hajar so pwetty.. sonia selalu skondeng my telekong.. nanti u let me know where to get eh.. boleh i beli kan sonia when i go KL

Yat Maria said...

Yani

that is why I'm very2 impressed ngan you..macam2 order u buat, same time dengan yr work lagi.. really impressive la Yani!

Related Posts with Thumbnails