Wednesday 12 January 2011

Banana Bread...with a twist!

The orders have started coming in.....yes, alhamdulillah...but that means less or no time for me to bake leisurely for a while....so, let me tell you a story about this Kek Pisang (Banana Bread).....Mak never used to bake except for Kueh Bahulu as we never owned an oven. Making Bahulu those days was done using api atas bawah (top and bottom fire, heat) using charcoal...you know the old traditional way! But, I remember apart from Butter Cake or Orange Cake and Marble Cake, I loved Banana Bread...the kind that you get from Mamak Roti peddlars who came round on his bicycle......of course the Roti Kaya from this Mamak Roti were to die for......tak pernah jumpa dah that kind of Roti Kaya now!

Anyway, I too, following the footstep of Mak, never baked ...well until recently (if you have read that I only started baking when I was carrying my 6th child!).....so, naturally, I have to try baking this......

I have baked this before, but this time I added chopped dark chocolate and throw some raisins on top of the batter.....and the taste....naturally....satisfying.....
Ingredients
175g all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
125g butter-melted
120g sugar
2 large eggs
300g bananas-I used 450g pisang emas and reduced the sugar to 100g
80g walnuts-I forgot to add!
100g sultanas- I added
100g dark chocolate-I added
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1.Preheat oven at 160C, Prepare baking tins...I used 2 loaf tins.
2.Sift flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3.Melt butter, let cool, add in sugar and eggs, whisk lightly. Add in vanilla.
4.Add in flour mixture. Mix bananas, walnut, dark chocolate.
5.Sprinkle raisins on top of the batter and bake for about 40 minutes.

After that, enjoy, enjoy and enjoy!!

A glimpse of shots when I went back to my kampung during Hari Raya Haji.....
Pisang Tanduk from my father's back yard.....
My Tok Wan's (grandfather's) house....used to be my playground!
Hajar, Umar and Muhammad...playing around the compound my grandfather's house...I used to be like them...
The paddy field where I used to play with mud, collected tadpoles (??!!) that is behind Tok Wan's kitchen...hated the leeches, yucks!

Okay, I got to go...have a nice day and thank you for reading!

5 comments:

ummisara said...

kak yani,

i memang suka kek pisang....mmmm yummy!

lawanya gambaq bendang belakang umah tok u!

Edi said...

i think all those collecting tadpoles and berkubang dlm mud developed our brain to become what we are now. i hope our kids get developed as much with all those ipod,ipad and fancy gadgets-lah!

i suke kek pisang but my hubby is not a fan. boring betulla buat kek tp asyik2 kena bwk office je..

Anonymous said...

Yani, I thought the twist was you bake the cake menggunakan kayu api!

Nevertheless it looks as inviting. Happy baking!

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

Puan KG,

one of my early attempts in baking, is baking banana bread. :-)

tireless mom said...

Hu hu hu...you made me miss my kampong! Banana cake is never my favourite, I dont know why. But I do LOVE bananas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails