Monday 3 January 2011

Red Velvet Cake

I began to love this cake when I first tried them at Delicious...I have tried two recipes before this, but they were not to my liking! This cake has the red red colour that I wanted and moist, the tangy and yet subtle hint of cocoa taste and I loved the creamy cheese that went with it!
The only thing that puts me off were the amount of colouring...2 oz babe...and thank god I didn't splatter any on my apron or my kitchen....there were a few spots on my kitchen top! Haha!
Hubby never liked this before, but this one...he kept getting from the fridge over and over on Saturday and Sunday! Think I'll have rasberry ripple with the cream cheese next time...that will give the extra voila!!

Red Velvet Cake
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp vinegar - I used distilled malt vinegar
2 oz red food colouring - my oh my....I used up all the gel red colouring that I had ..now I've got to restock!

Method
1.Preheat oven at 160C. Prepare 2 cake tins of 8 inches.
2.Prepare the dry ingredients. Sift cake flour, cocoa powder, salt and bicarbonate soda, set aside.
3.Prepare the wet ingredients, oil, buttermilk, vinegar and food colouring. Mix the oil and buttermilk and eggs until incorporated.
4.Mix dry ingredients with sugar, whisk well. Then, add in the wet ingredient and mix well.
5.Add the food colouring until well incorporated.
6.Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for about 35 minutes.
7.When cool, spread the cream cheese.

.....and then...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.......

9 comments:

Tina said...

nyesal tak take up your offer and singgah ari tu!! me don't quite like red velvet..it's an acquired taste but yours look splendid...I think I can get used to it!! :)

tireless mom said...

Sinful sinful Yani. Yet to be tested, but I think I still love your cho devil.

mr. pineapple man said...

looks delicious! loving the blog~ now following you!

KG said...

tine, hehe next time (read: entah bila lah agaknya) k!

KG said...

yatt, when you are not travelling try this for ....fun, the kids will love this!

KG said...

mr pineapple man, hmmm mysterious ...yet tqs for coming here!

nUmara... said...

hi sis, any substitute for buttermilk? thx...

Anonymous said...

subtitute for buttermilk is pour 1 tbsp of vinegar into a cup then fill the cup with milk until the rim...u can google it :)

Anonymous said...

tumpang tanya, kalau tukar minyak tu ke melted butter boleh tak? sebab saya pernah buat cake sebelum ni letak minyak, then cake tu rasa mcm minyak :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails