Wednesday 15 February 2012

Kek Gula Hangus

Kek Gula Hangus or Caramel Cake is one hubs' favourite cakes...and he's been bugging me to bake this for as long as I have started baking!

I didn't have any baking to do (except one Victoria Sandwich cake and some Choc Macarons which I will do tonight), so I made this last night. And some Nutella cupcakes, which didn't satisfy my taste buds or my childrens', so I will not post the recipe!



As with any traditional cakes, this recipe was very easy to do, apart from the resting time for the batter which was 3 hours. Apparently, the resting time was so that we achieve the sort of bubbles, holes in the cake! Well, I got that texture, but there weren't that many holes, bubbles.....I think I need not let the caramel butter to cool, but let it be warm when I mixed the flour! You know like making One Bowl Choc Cake where you add boiled water!...will try that next time! Anyway, here's the recipe that I got from Mat Gebu !


Ingredients
110 sugar
120ml water
30g butter
3 eggs, size A
80g condensed milk
90g plain flour, APF, sift with 1 1/4 tsp baking soda

Method
1. Make caramel by heating sugar until amber colour, when it started to bubble, turn off heat. I love using a heavy base pan for the heat....slowly add water, it will splatter. Add butter, leave to cool this mixture.
2.Beat eggs till thick and pale, add condensed milk and fold in flour...you don't want to overbeat at this stage or you'll get a hard cake! You would have overworked the protein in the flour!
3. Pour in greased baking tins (owh I can't wait for my bundt pans to arrive..ordered from Amazon!), let the batter rest for 3 hours (in which time I made Nutella cupcakes....which Hajar and Muhammad had for supper!).
4.Preheat oven at 170C, bake for about 20 minutes. 


You know, this traditional kuehs were easy to make, but you really have to get the techniques right! Anyway, I had one for breakfast this morning, and the taste was awesome! Tqs Mat Gebu for this recipe!

...and here's some macarons I deleivered yesterday!



Apple Cinnamon Buttercream, Passionfruit White Choc ganache, Cookie Dough Buttercream, Macadamia Brittle in Caramel Buttercream...in French Style Buttercream, tqs Mahirah! 



...some macarons to feast the Board of Directors, all red because it was Valentines' Day! Hazelnut Almond Macarons filled with Raspberry Choc Ganache and Passionfruit Choc Ganache, using Valrhona buttons, tqs Elly!

Happy Wednesday you alls...I'm surrendering myself to my documents...hehe!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kek gula hangus ni kek kegemaran org2 tua kan. I am ok with it, my mum loves it. I think I featured a recipe in my blog long time ago and it was an easy recipe with excellent results everytime. My mum was so happy when I brought it home. Selalu dia beli a few potong jer at the market, bila I bwk balik satu loyang seronok dia hehehe.

Zatil said...

Kak Yani..ur new label is so classy!!

Ribbon and Circus said...

I can't remember when was the last time I eat this cake.. The recipe is so simple. Am bookmarking it now :)

Nice photos.. Love the dark background vs the caramel brown color.. N KG is finally labelled! Great!! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails